2023 – 2024 EOI
The Co3+STRUT Dance Fellowship is designed to facilitate a deep dive into contemporary dance practice, allowing artists to kickstart the next phase in their artistic journey. The fellowships granted will be self-directed and designed. Whilst this may involve the development of new choreographic work, the Fellowship also provides an opportunity to: undertake further training; experiment with new ways of working; prioritise artistic research; and undertake creative risk-taking.
The two Fellowship opportunities offered (to be delivered over a 12-month period), are as follows:
- 1 x $70,000 mid-career fellowship for artists with over 5 years of choreographic or dance practice
- 1 x $20,000 fellowship for an artist within their first 5 years of choreographic or dance practice
The fellowships will be supported by Co3 and STRUT Dance, through their respective capabilities and resources. All activity you undertake will be funded through the fellowship to the amount of the fellowship. Additional support may be provided by Co3 and STRUT Dance and could include:
- Access to discounted space at King Street Arts Centre and State Theatre Centre WA
- Priority bookings at King Street Arts Centre and State Theatre Centre of WA
- Access to resources when available (i.e. cameras, tripod, sound equipment and projector)
- Assistance in facilitating public/sector facing events.
- Assistance in relationship building, networking and professional referrals (i.e. videographers/ photographers).
- Mentorship in developing artistic vision, artistic practice, business management, and grant writing advice.
- Assistance in marketing and publicity support.
- You must be a WA resident (for at least 6 of the past 12 months).
- You must be a current STRUT Dance member ($65 annual fee). To register go to https://strutdance.org.au/membership/become-a-member/
If you do not communicate using written language, please contact either organisation to discuss with us alternative ways of applying.
We wish for the Co3+STRUT Dance Fellowship to be a true reflection of the people of Western Australia with a variety of skillsets, life experiences, cultures and backgrounds. Our organisations value inclusivity and encourage people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Fellowships granted will have the following requirements:
- At least 1x public facing activity:
A public invitation into your fellowship activity through a studio showing, ticketed or non-ticketed event, blog, publication or exhibition etc.
- 10+ hours (for 70k fellow) / 5+ hours (for 20k fellow) of sector engaging activity:
An invitation to the sector to participate in free classes, workshop/s, presentations, or lectures etc.
Specify which fellowship you are applying for and send:
- A CV of no more than two pages.
- Links to evidence of your past and current practices:
- Up to 5 minutes video material, 10 images / pages of text that reflect your practice.
- Maximum 600-word response to the following questions:
- Define your creative practice and how a Fellowship will enable you to grow or evolve your current practice?
- Why here and now? Articulate the urgency of undertaking the Fellowship both in relation to your own development and how your practice could impact the sector.
- Consider how your practice relates to the world (locally or globally) and what subject matters you are interacting/ navigating within your practice.
- Please submit your application in one single PDF file to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications must be submitted by 5.00pm on Monday, 29 May 2023.
Candidates will be assessed through a two-stage assessment by a selection panel consisting of representatives from both Co3 and STRUT Dance artistic advisory groups.
02 May 2023
29 May 2023
EOIs close, followed by assessment from the advisory group.
09 June 2023
First round outcomes notified – shortlisted candidates notified
03 July 2023
Selected applicants invited to a discussion with the selection panel.
17 July 2023
Final outcomes notified.
Public announcement. A public announcement was made on Wednesday 9 August. Read more on the two artists awarded here.
Oct 2023 – Sep 2024
Fellowship activity. Throughout the fellowship quarterly meetings will be held with Co3 and STRUT Dance